Formulation of Snail Slime (Achatina Fulica) Anti-Acne Emulgel using Tween 80-Span 80 as Emulsifying and HPMC as Gelling Agent
Acne is the condition of abnormal skin which is indicated by inflammation caused by the bacterial infection of Propionibacterium acnes. The natural one which can be used for the medical treatment of acne is the snail mucus (Achatina fulica). The achasin protein of it has antibacterial activity. That snail mucus was made to the emulgel form. This research has used an experimental method and the emulgel formulation used the various concentration of emulsifying agents and the gelling agent. They were Tween 80 1.76%, 2.44%, 3.12%, Span 80 2.24%, 4.06%, 5.88% and HPMC 3.5%, 4.5%, 5.5%. Other additives were propylene glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, paraffin liquid, menthol, and aquadest. Those formulations were tested in physical evaluation during 4 weeks of storage in room temperature, irritation test, hedonic test, and cycling test. The organoleptic test showed that the emulgel were the milk-white color with a distinctive smell. All emulgel were homogenous, non-irritant, with emulsion type oil in water (o/w). This emulgel also met the normal skin of pH value and spread ability’s range. The emulgel viscosity shift was < 10%, with the viscosity value inversely proportional to spreadability. Formula C with 3.12% of Tween 80, 5.88% of Span 80 and 5.5% of HPMC was claimed as the most stable formula both in room temperature and after cycling test. It was also the most preferred by the panelist.
Dewi, S.A. 2009. Cara Ampuh Mengobati Jerawat Secara Alami dan Medis. Buana Pustaka, Yogyakarta.
Erawati, T., Rosita, N., Hendroprasetyo, W., Juwita, D. R. 2005. Pengaruh Jenis Basis Gel Dan Penambahan NaCl (0.5% -b/b) Terhadap Intensitas Echo Gelombang Ultrasonik Sediaan Gel Untuk Pemeriksaan USG (Acoustic Coupling Agent). Airlangga Journal of Pharmacy. 5(2).
Garg, A., Aggrawal, D., Garg, S., Singla, A.K. 2002. Spreading of Semisolid Formulations: An Update. Pharmaceutical Technology. pp 84-105.
Kim, C. 2004. Advanced Pharmaceutics Physicochemical Principles. CRC Press, London.
Laverius, M.F. 2011. Optimasi Tween 80 Dan Span 80 Sebagai Emulsifying Agent Serta Carbopol Sebagai Gelling Agent Dalam Sediaan Emulgel Photoprotector Ekstrak Teh Hijau (Camellia sinensis L.): Aplikasi Desain Faktorial. Skripsi. Universitas Sanata Dharma, Yogyakarta.
Mardiana, Z.H., Amila, G. dan Lanny, M. 2015. Formulasi Gel yang Mengandung Lendir Bekicot (Achatina fulica) Serta Uji Aktivitas Antibakteri Terhadap Propionibacterium acne. Prosiding Penelitian Spesia UNISBA Farmasi Gelombang 2 (2014-2015), pp 223-224.
Rowe, R.C., Paul, J.S., Sian, C.O. 2009. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients 6th Edition. Pharmaceutical Press, Washington D.C.
Syukri, Y., Sari, F., Zahliyatul, S. 2009. Stabilitas Fisik Emulsi Ganda Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) Menggunakan Emulgator Span 80 dan Tween 40. Jurnal Ilmiah Farmasi. 5(1):4.
Copyright (c) 2018 Nur Saadah Daud, Achnis Jum Akbar, Eny Nurhikma, Karmilah Karmilah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors continue to retain the copyright to the article if the article is published in the Borneo Journal of Pharmacy. They will also retain the publishing rights to the article without any restrictions.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Any article on the copyright is retained by the author(s).
- The author grants the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share work with an acknowledgement of the work authors and initial publications in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into a separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of published articles of work (eg, post-institutional repository) or publish it in a book, with acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their websites) prior to and during the submission process, as can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License